2009-09-21

Couplandisms

Douglas Coupland is an author that I've been following rather closely during the years. He has a way of describing the modern world in a way that's funny, clever and very much to the point. One of his key ingredients in these descriptions are phrases which captures modern world truisms, something he refers to as Couplandisms. Given my taste for quotes I really cannot resist these. Coupland maintains a page full of these phrases and it's little goldmine. Here's a few examples.
We’re rapidly approaching a world comprised entirely of jail and shopping.
If you don’t change, then what’s the point of anything happening to you?
Figure out what it is in life you don’t do well, and then don’t do it.
Is there anything in the world more annoyingly creepy than an unspoken dress code?
It’s weird when people start sentences with ‘frankly’ — as if their other sentences don’t count.
I don’t want any vegetables, thank you. I paid for the cow to eat them for me.

The Couplandisms are a quotes from his various books. Maybe sometime I'll write about which of his books I recommend and which I don't. For now, have fun with the Couplandisms.

No comments: