2005-03-18

On having an open mind

It's quote time again. Today I read the silliest email sig I have ever seen:
Minds, like parachutes, function best when open
I don't believe in having a constantly open mind. One should have it closed and be very careful what to put in it, just as with the mouth. I read a quote about this several years ago but never wrote it down. Neither did I know who wrote it. After seaching a little on the web it turns out to be a quote from G. K. Chesterton. Is goes as follows:
I think he [H. B. Wells] thought that the object of opening the mind is simply opening the mind. Whereas I am incurably convinced that the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid.
When trying to dig up this quote I found a good article on this subject on the net called Close Your Mind. It discusses this issue in more depth from a Christian perspective.

No comments: